Our free online cutlist optimizer can be used to work out the best way to cut your lengths of material to get the most efficient cuts from the material and save wastage. The calculator can be used for any linear material whether it be steel, metal, wood (timber), plastics, etc.
1. In the "Settings" box, enter the length of the steel or wood that you will be cutting the required lengths from. Your measurements can be in inches, feet, cm (centimetres), mm (millimetres) or metres. A lot of steel is not exactly the length that it is sold as. For example an 8 metre length of steel that is sold as 8 metres, may be 10 or more millimetres longer than 8 metres. Therefore, if you enter that you need 1 x 6050 mm and 1 x 1950mm, then with a kerf of 1.5 mm, it will want to add another length, so you should enter the exact length of the material (or near to it).
2. In the "Settings" box, enter the kerf. The kerf is the width of the cut and will vary depending on the width of the band saw blade or cutting disc that are using.
3. In the "Stock" box enter any stock that you already have cut.
4. In the "Cuts" box, enter the length and number of required pieces of steel that are needed for your project and click the "Add" button after each one.
5. If you need to remove any cuts from the list, simply click on that particular entry and it will be removed.
6. Click the "Print Cutting List" button if you wish to print the sheet.